I heard so much of Crans-Montana being a perfect resort for winter holidays and was so happy to discover it myself during fall – when the seasonal colors transform from summer greens to autumn gold, when the leaves crunch under your feet as you walk along one of the many lakes, the air is crisp and the sun shines high in the sky as you watch the breathtaking panorama of the highest Alpine peaks. The best time to experience this autumn bliss is mid-October-early November and since TIS THE SEASON, I am sharing some of my personal to-do’s and best spots to try out some of the most delicious seasonal dishes in Crans-Montana.
Crans-Montana is a perfect destination for all us nature lovers and has a lot to offer: nine lakes, six streams, four waterfalls, glacier and many forests. There are 320 km of signposted walking paths, 15 trail running routes, 200 km of road cycling and 11 mountain biking itineraries to explore, so no matter HOW you’d like to discover the region, you’ll find something that fits you.
We decided to hike and choose a beautiful route along the Bisse du Tsittorer. It leads through fragrant forests and along the walk we were served with some of the most majestic Alpine summit views found in the Alps: Matterhorn, Weisshorn and Mont Blanc just to mention a few. It starts at the Colombire Hamlet, where you can discover how life used to be in the mayen, the typical Walliser mountain hut, which served as an accomodation for shepherds who spent the summer on the Alpine pastures (you can “experience” the life as it used to be and even stay overnight in one of these – more info HERE). We walked circa 1 hour until we saw the waterfalls from afar and then walked back to our lunch spot. Beautiful and easy route, perfect to experience the atmosphere of the region and see all the fall colors along the way.
Explore the surroundings:
Either by relaxing easy walks along the water, or some luxurious shopping in the Alpine town, here’s what to do:
1. Walk by the Moubra Lake – this route is entirely stroller-friendly and pretty scenic in its autumn colors. Such a peaceful and calm location, just a few minutes walking from the center. There’s a restaurant nearby overlooking the lake – La Plage. You can also rent a pedal boat and enjoy the surroundings from a different perspective.
2. Stroll around the the city – whether for a coffee break, some shopping or just to enjoy the Alpine atmosphere – you won’t get bored here.
Relax and unwind:
In Crans-Montana you’ll find fabulous hotels with wellness and spa areas. We stayed at Hotel Art de Vivre – a very family-friendly option with a heated pool, outdoor jacuzzi, two hammams, a sauna with some stunning views of the Valais Alps, a cold water pool, an ice fountain and a rest room. To me spa getaways is a must in the autumn – pool time after a hike on a chilly sunny day – this is what Alpine dreams are made of.
Enjoy the culinary highlights
Every gourmet lover will find what they’re looking for amongst the huge choice of restaurants in Crans-Montana. Whether you feel like dining in an authentic mountain hut or at a Michelin star restaurant, you’ll find something for you. Sharing some tasty spots we tried during our weekend below:
- CaSy Montana – modern brasserie with an Alpine vibe – located on a square decorated with winter lights, offers a cosy atmosphere and tasty Italian and french inspired dishes.
- Le Relais De Colombire – located on the walking route I shared above – a must visit for classic Walliser dishes served with a side of Alpine views – we went with tomatoe fondue and paired it with a local white wine for an authentic experience and it was the best! Highly recommend.
- Le Monument – a Gault&Millau restaurant in the historic town of Lens, focused on local and fresh food – super tasty dishes and excellent service – a must-try when in the region.
- Oli’s Break – a cool and healthy spot in the city center for healthy juices, sandwiches and organic sweets (their cookies are delicious!)
- L’Opale – beautifully located by the Lac du Louche, serves delicious local food and a unique choice of wines from Lens refion and also produced by female wine makers. Hint if you love art: visit Fondation Opale – contemporary exhibition centre right next to the restaurant.
Create family memories
Crans-Montana is a certified “Family Destination” and it’s an ideal place to spend holidays with your children. There are a lot of activities that you can find HERE (like children workshops and so on). The hotel we stayed at had a playroom plus, all the restaurants we visited had children menu (when you’re a parent, you know it’s important!). I found a lot of nice playgrounds in Crans too. One of the most family-friendly trips we’ve done so far.
You can find more information and ideas for your perfect autumn trip on the official website of the Crans-Montana Tourism.
This post was written in collaboration with Crans-Montana Tourism. All opinions are authentically my own.
One thought on “Autumn weekend in Crans-Montana – what to do.”
Thank you for sharing!